As the SEO world has been very active last week (the mean Penguin is back), I thought it’d be good idea to have a small recap of what you may have missed on the web. Take a seat and relax, you might also encounter some other cool Sunday links.
What’s up with SEO ?
Google Penguin update is now live
I think you’ve all heard about it but Google has released the Penguin 2.0 big time again. Here’s what Matt Cutts said :
“It’s gonna have a pretty big impact on web spam. It’s a brand new generation of algorithms. The previous iteration of Penguin would essentinally only look at the home page of a site. The newer generation of Penguin goes much deeper and has a really big impact in certain small areas.”
Still, it doesn’t give us much clue, except that if you have natural links, non-spammy webpages and a good user-friendly content, you shouldn’t panic. It’s clearly aimed to target black-hat spam in my opinion. If you have clusters in the SERPs for a specific keyword, Matt Cutts said they will correct that in order to have more relevant results for the users. I just did a quick test and it doesn’t seem like it’s been corrected everywhere yet.
As of today, the update is live of course and it affected about 2,3% of the English-US queries. The question is – will links become more and more useless in the future ? Does it mean also that social signs will have a much bigger impact ? Never forget though that Google has +200 factors which make you rank in its algorithm. Paid links or spammy content are just a small part of all the chaos.
Finally, if you ever want to report a spammy website, Matt Cutts invites you to do so. Don’t be too hard with others though.
Now, enough of Penguin. Some more SEO here.
- Have you ever heard of (not provided) Count ? Well, the name of the website speaks for itself. The real keyword data is in decline and this website will tell you a little more about that.
- The markups by Schema.org are evolving ! You can now use a new markup called “Organization” in order to make your logo visible in the SERPs when someone types the name of your company.
Time to relax…
- What are the most persuasive words in the Enlisgh language ? FREE is one of them.
- I know you couldn’t sleep at night because of this unsolved mistery… The pronunciation of GIF. Yes. There you go. From Steve Wilhite himself, “They are wrong. It is a soft ‘G,’ pronounced ‘jif.’ End of story.“. My teacher was wrong during all those years !
- Want to know more about the anatomy of a perfect webpage ? This is the place to be. Very useful and clear article.
- Remember this soft and sweet sound ?
Have a great week !